You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.It's said with a smirk and a raised eyebrow by Francis Urquhart, the man who will stop at nothing to become Prime Minister in the BBC's fantastic House of Cards. I use it all the time now (Husband: Are you going to eat that last piece of fried chicken? Me: You might very well think that...")
The phrase takes it place in my pantheon of phrases plucked from movies and TV. You've got your chosen ones too, right?
Here are more of mine... see if you can name the film or TV show they're from. Answers are below.
1. "We want... a shrubbery!"
2. "Don't panic!" [Said with arms waving]
3. "You had me at hello."
4. "Show me the money."
5. "You talkin' to me?"
6. "You're gonna need a bigger boat."
7. "Nobody's perfect"
8. "My Name Inigo Montoya. You keel my father. Prepare to die."
9. "I'll have what she's having."
10. "You're right, you're right, I know you're right"
11. "Funny she doesn't look Druish"
12. "Make it so."
14. "Tea. Earl Gray. Hot."
15. "Resistance is futile."
1. Monty Python
2. Chicken Run
3. Jerry Maguire4. Jerry Maguire5. Taxi Driver
7. Some Like it Hot
8. Princess Bride
9. When Harry Met Sally
10. When Harry Met Sally
12. Star Trek: Next Generation
13. Star Trek: Next Generation
14. Star Trek: Next Generation
15. Star Trek: Next Generation
But the movie that aces all the others for useful quotes is, no surprise, a Mel Brooks movie, Young Frankenstein. Here are just a few that live on:
"Roll, roll, roll in zee hay."
"Put zee candle back"
"HE. WAS. MY. BOYFRIEND!"
"Werewolf? There wolf!"
"Walk this way. No, this way."
"What hump?" (in response to "I'm a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with that hump."
"Goodnight, Frau Blücher." [Horse whinny]
(If you're baffled, watch the movie!)
What are the quotes from movies and TV and perhaps (even!) books that you find yourself trotting out from time to time?