JULIA SPENCER-FLEMING: You may not have guessed it from our blog, but here at JRW we are all about the Red. Some of us have red hair (or used to...) some of us wear red clothes, some of us sport red polish, but we all have a big dose of Red Attitude.
So we were delighted to make the acquaintance of Kathy Lynn Hall, aka Red Mojo Mama. Blogger, Indy author, social media expert, Kathy Lynn knows that some women are born red, some have red thrust upon 'em, but ALL women can achieve Red. She's visiting us today to tell you how to add more Red to your life.
"When in doubt wear red." --Bill Blass
It doesn’t matter where you find it, the color red brings life to the party. Take a basic black and white décor; add a red pillow and a vase of red gladiolas and suddenly you have drama. If you’re the shy and retiring type, it’s obvious you need a little red once in a while to spark up your existence. So, go for it and try one or two of these suggestions to surprise yourself and those who never thought that you’d ever DO red.
- Wearing that little black dress again? Add a sparkling red rhinestone brooch – retro, of course – and just see how many compliments you get.
- Do you have classic white dinnerware, like I do? No problem. Add scarlet cloth napkins, sprinkle rose petals around the base of a pedestal candle and now you have romance in full bloom.
- Is there a pair of hot red heels in your closet that hurt your feet too much to wear on a long date? (If there aren’t, get on it, girlfriend!) Solution: Arrange to meet your husband or date at a restaurant that has a bar. Wear your flip-flops into the ladies room, slip on your passion-red stilettos and slither slowly to the bar before he even gets there. Be sure to perch on a bar stool turned slightly to the side facing the door, so he’ll get a great peek at your fabulous legs and shoes as he meets his lady for a drink first. Make sure he enjoys a little footsie under the table, before you slip back into your flip-flops for the trip home. PS – make sure there’s a beautiful shade of red on your pedicured feet and he’ll make the mental leap from the red heels to your sexy toes in no time flat.
- Don’t be afraid to do red big-time if you can handle it. As a professional, shock and awe will accompany you into a board room in a simple red suit. Keep the accessories simple and gold tone and you’ll be unforgettable.
- If your life has been basic beige up until now and leaping off the cliff is uncomfortable, take it slow or you may get flustered by your adventures in such a vibrant color. Add red and gold earrings to your collection. Can you pull off a bold cherry lipstick while the rest of you says “I’m understated”? Or maybe a wine-colored purse is just the right touch of radical against a plain background. Experiment.
- Red and sparkly go together like wine and cheese. I have a red beaded purse I hang within sight of my bed just to remind me of that fact. Whether it’s jewelry or sequins, red loves shiny things, so marry them whenever you can.
- Perk up your stationary. Get rid of those sickly pastels and go in search of splashes of the color of passion. Some of the most interesting designs have a bit of vermillion or cardinal in them.
- Add a red bra and matching panties to your lingerie drawer. No one even has to see them for you to feel a little sexier knowing you have them on.
- I have a little fire-engine red car with a matching cooler, stadium blanket and sports chair in the back. People remark on it all the time.
- Don’t forget the scents associated with red – cherries, apples, pomegranates, Red Door and Red perfumes.
However you manage it, do give yourself a fling with red. See how it fits. If you love it, then embrace it. Red is truly a lot of fun!
You can head over to Red Mojo Mama for more of Kathy Lynn's wit and wisdom. You can also check out her novels, Red Mojo Mama and Red is an Attitude, her books of essays and her social media guides. You can follow her on Twitter as @RedMojoMama, like her on Facebook, and - new to us! - share with her on Pinterest!