RHYS: Hank reminded me the other day that Mercury is in Retrograde. One should expect little annoying things to go wrong.
Since we’ve just had a lovely period of smooth sailing on a cruise and then in France and now at my sister-in-law's wonderful manor house in Cornwall, I feel totally relaxed and at peace with the wrld. So it felt like the right sort of time to ponder on some of life’s baffling little mysterious annoyances.
1. When I try to diet, why does the weight disappear instantly from my boobs and not budge from my belly?
2.When I try to do a pedicure myself why does it look as if my foot has been run over by a large truck, rather than the delicate red painted nails of the professional pedi?
3. Why does toast always fall jelly side down?
4. Why does the line I choose at the bank always contain one person who wants to send money to Peru (in pesus) or who wants to find out whether he actually closed an account twenty years ago and whether there really are fifty dollars still in it.
5 Why does my computer work fine until I am told to install updates, then it starts giving me all kinds of problems?
6. And speaking of computers—why is it when you're in a hurry, that's when screen says instaling upgrade 1 of 18,698?
7. Why is it that the moment they hand me a coffee on an airplane we hit turbulence?
8: Why is it if I wear white I always spill something on it?
9: Why is it that I only go out once a month and if I schedule a theater I get two other invites for the same evening?
10 And lastly an author’s puzzlement… why is it, if I come up with a brilliant idea, several other writers come out with books on the same subject before I can write it?
So Reds and Readers: do share your personal annoyances, and in case you think I’m a whiner, I’m really not. I am quite aware of my blessings and good fortune. This whole list was sparked by dieting, then looking in the mirror!